Sunday, March 18, 2012

Running with an Irish Man on St. Patrick's Day!








This year I spent Saint Patrick's Day running with my Irish Man! 13.1 Miles of St. Patty's Day fun!!

That's right we celebrated his favorite holiday running in the Canyon Lands Half Marathon in Moab, Utah!!

Imagine around 4000 runners converging on a single place, YIKES!! It was crazy fun! We started out by boarding a bus at 7:45 and riding for about a half hour to get up the canyon. Everyone was trying to get out of the wind by hiding behind rocks, it was a little chilly that early! The race started at 10 and it took us about two minutes to cross the starting line after the gun went off. There was a sea of people in front of us and behind us!

We ran negative splits, which means we started out at a slow pace and increase our speed over time. It makes you feel good because you end up passing lots of other runners. It is a beautiful run down the canyon with the river next to you. When you get to the bottom they have drummers so it echos of the canyon walls, so cool!

Kirk stuck with me until about mile 11 and then my legs hurt so bad I had to walk. Think I was struggling with the heat a bit, we've been running in the 50's and it was in the 60's. There was a sweet gal that came up next to me and encouraged me for a little while which made the last two miles better. In the end I only finished 5 minutes behind Kirk at 2:10:45. By next year I want to run it in 2 hours flat! (Yes I think I am crazy for saying that!!)

It's funny during those last two miles I was really questioning why I was doing this, I wanted to cry when I hit that wall. Now I'm all ready thinking about doing it next year. Of course I have another half here in Durango come June! Let's see if I can cut some time off!!!!

Someone at church asked me today why I would want to run 13.1 miles, I ask myself that some days too. It feels good to be able to say I've run a half marathon. I set a goal and I accomplished it. 2 years ago I never thought I would run this far, but I do have to say I love the feeling after I'm done. Running is sometimes the only time I get to be alone and doing something to keep me sane. I admit I can be a big complainer while I'm out there, just ask Kirk, but I know it's doing good things for my body and my mental health. (gotta love endorphins!) I still have a long way to go, but it's teaching me lots of patience!

Now it's onto my next race, the Red Rock Relay in May and then another half here at home in June. Then we'll see what's next!!


T

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Wow! I am super impressed! Way to go!!